Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Online Myths

I have found that there is a huge misconception about online learning is that the online course work is easier. My husband and children incorrectly assume that because there is more flexibility it is easier and I have all the time I need to do what they want and what I need to do. The truth in fact is the opposite. You have to read the material and teach it to yourself as well as do the assignments, which are reading and writing rather than listening and participating during a class period. Research show that ‘at least twice as much time and effort are needed to teach and learn online compared to face to face.’ (Sixteen Myths) I knew it would require alot of time but I am finding it is taking more than I alloted, so I am readjusting my non-school schedule.

Another popular myth is that online learning promotes isolation. This is both true and false, as with most things it depends on the instructor and the students which is also true in traditional learning as well. For me I tend to be isolated in general, online sometimes it is easier to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment